Image is from Huffington Post
Eggs are a common food in virtually all cuisines. This makes it tough to live with allergies associated with this food. The allergies are most prevalent in children under the age of 5. However, the good thing is that most children can easily outgrow the allergy by the time they reach adolescence. It is, therefore, critical that a parent is able not only to point out the symptoms of allergies but also take the necessary precautions.
Look for signs indicating the allergic reactions
There are usually four major symptoms associated with egg allergies. They include the following:
- Abnormal marks on the skin including hives and swollen areas
- Breathing difficulties that often cause wheezing
- Stomach aches or diarrhea
- Heart disorders including low blood pressure
- A runny nose and itching near the mouth
Seek medical assistance on noticing the symptoms
For babies, the most common symptom that will appear is a rash. Sometimes the allergy comes as a sick reaction after having an egg meal. If you visit the doctor, they will conduct a myriad of tests to ascertain whether what you’re complaining about is really egg allergy. The tests may include:
- Skin tests- the doctor will do this by exposing your skin o egg extracts as they gently prick the skin. If a raised and red spot appears where the egg extract was placed, then the subject definitely has an egg allergy.
- Blood test-if the skin test does not reveal anything the doctor may settle on the decision to conduct a blood test. The patient’s sample of blood will be taken and sent to the lab where chemical testing will be carried out to determine whether they have an allergy.
Replace nutritional deficiencies with other foods
Eggs are usually very rich in proteins. However, if you’re the type who is allergic to eggs, then you’re going to have to consider other protein sources as well. Here’s what you can consider
- During any baking, use a half tablespoon of baking powder in place of each egg. Eggs are some of the most common ingredients during baking but replacing it with baking powder still allows you to enjoy your favorites like cookies and cakes.
- Take chicken, fish, and peanuts are other protein alternatives
- Visit a dietitian and ask them to help you devise a plan that will let you fulfill your body’s nutritional needs while avoiding eggs at the same time.
Important to mention
- Whenever there is going to be a need for you to travel, be it a vacation or on official duty, keep a list of all the ingredients you will need for the entire journey. If you’re going as a group, don’t shy away from telling people about the kinds of foods that you’re allergic to. This courage will come in handy in the long run.
- Additionally, you must be careful if when using egg substitutes. The substitutes usually have egg whites in them. Others even have egg portions. You can simply avoid them totally as they may have the same effect in your body as real eggs.
- If you notice some changing pattern in breathing or unusual heart behavior, then you must seek immediate medical attention. It may not necessarily relate to egg allergy but can still cause serious harm to your body or even death.
- Before taking flu shots, make sure your doctor knows about any allergy that you may be having.
You should always know how to handle the egg allergies the moment you notice their manifestation to ensure you always live healthily.